The preorder deadline has passed, but we’ll have turkeys for sale at the shop Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. No phone orders will be taken, so come by and see us! We will be CLOSED MONDAY. We are offering beautiful heritage birds from Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch as well as hams, sausage stuffing, gravy, stock, pie dough and more.
Friday 11/16 | Last day to pre-order for Thanksgiving
Monday 11/19 | CLOSED to pack orders
Tuesday 11/20 | 10AM to 7PM
Wednesday 11/21 | 10AM to 7PM
Thursday 11/22 | CLOSED
Friday 11/23| CLOSED
Saturday 11/24 | 10AM to 6PM
Sunday 11/25 | 10AM to 6PM
About our Thanksgiving birds
This year our heritage turkeys are coming from Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch. Frank R. Reese Jr., owner of Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch, is a fourth-generation farmer who has been producing the country’s best poultry for 60 years. If you enjoyed the heritage turkeys we previously carried from BN Ranch, you’ll be pleased to know that Good Shepherd provided the original breeding stock for BN Ranch turkeys. The turkeys are raised on pasture, fly and roost in trees and are 100% free of antibiotics. In fact, these are the oldest pure genetic lines of heritage turkeys in America, dating back to the 1830s.
Since starting his first flock in the 1950s, Frank has dedicated his life to raising heritage birds and ensuring the survival of their unique breeds. Frank’s philosophy of animal husbandry rests on three fundamentals: animal welfare, breed conservancy and environmental stewardship. The result of Frank’s breeding methods and attentive animal husbandry is happy, healthy turkeys with a character of flavor and juiciness that cannot be matched. The meat of heritage birds is visibly darker and the flavor is deep and rich. The Local Butcher Shop receives the turkeys fresh (never frozen) a few days before Thanksgiving.
What’s the turkey price?
Heritage birds are priced at $12 per pound.
What size turkey do I need?
We have several turkey sizes available this year. We’ll do our very best to get you a turkey as close to your desired size as possible. Here is our recommendation guide to help you decide the best size bird to fit your holiday table:
- Extra Large Turkey (22 – 25.9 lbs) serve 16 to 22 people
- Large Turkey (18 – 21.9 lbs) serves 10 to 16 people
- Medium Turkey (14 – 17.9 lbs) serves 7 to 10 people
- Small Turkey (10 – 13.9 lbs) serves 5 to 7 people
- Extra Small Turkey (7 – 9.9 lbs) serves 3 to 6 people
- Turkey legs and/or breasts (cut to order) perfect for small gatherings
If you’re looking for an alternative to turkey, we’re offering holiday hams, pork roasts, guinea hen (it’s like a mini turkey for two!), quail, duck, rabbits, beef roasts, lamb legs and more—call and talk with one of our butchers. We also have charcuterie platters, sausage & bread stuffing, poultry stock, gravy, pie dough, bacon, eggs, and more.
Our favorite Thanksgiving recipes & tips
- Brined & Glazed Turkey
- How to glaze & reheat a holiday ham
- How to prepare & cook a standing rib roast
- Heritage Turkey with Citrus & Herbs
- Bacon & Cider Braised Turkey
- Fennel Garlic Roast Pork
- Roast Guinea Hen with Radicchio
- Guinea Hen with Bacon Cabbage & Apples
- The Rocchino’s favorite brisket
- Berkeleyside feature: Herb Roasted Turkey Breast & Pan Gravy