Sharpen those knives, dust off the family recipes and reserve your Thanksgiving turkey! We are offering beautiful heritage birds from Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch as well as hams, sausage stuffing, gravy, stock, pie dough and more. Order online, by phone or in the shop. Delivery is available to much of the East Bay!
Friday 11/19 | Last day to place orders Saturday 11/20 | 10:30AM to 6PM
Sunday 11/21 | CLOSED to pack orders
Monday 11/22 | 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday 11/23 | 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday 11/24 | 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday 11/25 | CLOSED – Thanksgiving Day
Friday 11/26 | CLOSED
Saturday 11/27 | 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sunday 12/28 | 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
We have several convenient ways to place your Thanksgiving order. If you plan to pick up your order at our shop in Berkeley, you may order online, call us to order over the phone, or come by to order in person. We do offer home delivery to the East Bay through our partner Mercato. Delivery orders must be placed via Mercato’s online shop. A few important things to know:
- The last day to place your order is Friday, November 19th
- We often sell out of our most popular turkey sizes, so order early
- The shop will be closed Sunday, November 21st to prepare Thanksgiving orders
- You will select your preferred pickup day: Monday 11/22, Tuesday 11/23 or Wednesday 11/24
- If you order via Mercato, you will select your preferred delivery date: Monday 11/22, Tuesday 11/23 or Wednesday 11/24
- We will be closed Thursday 11/25 and Friday 11/26
Call us to order over the phone: 510-845-MEAT
Come see us at the shop: 1600 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94709 (our front door is on Cedar)
About our Thanksgiving birds
Our heritage turkeys come from Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch. Frank R. Reese Jr., owner of Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch, is a fourth-generation farmer who has been producing the country’s best poultry for 60 years. The turkeys are raised on pasture, fly and roost in trees and are 100% free of antibiotics. In fact, these are the oldest pure genetic lines of heritage turkeys in America, dating back to the 1830s.
Since starting his first flock in the 1950s, Frank has dedicated his life to raising heritage birds and ensuring the survival of their unique breeds. Frank’s philosophy of animal husbandry rests on three fundamentals: animal welfare, breed conservancy and environmental stewardship. The result of Frank’s breeding methods and attentive animal husbandry is happy, healthy turkeys with a character of flavor and juiciness that cannot be matched. The meat of heritage birds is visibly darker and the flavor is deep and rich. The Local Butcher Shop receives the turkeys fresh (never frozen) a few days before Thanksgiving.
What’s the turkey price?
Thanksgiving turkeys are priced at $13.95 per pound, and orders may be placed online, by phone or in the shop. We encourage you to reserve your turkey as soon as possible because they typically sell out.
A note about the price
We know that these turkeys are significantly more expensive than what you’ll find at the grocery store. Why? Heirloom turkey breeds take about two times longer to grow to size, requiring two times more feed than conventionally-raised turkeys. Good Shepherd’s turkeys spend their life out on pasture, and they are free of antibiotics and hormones. Raising turkeys this way is not easy, but it’s good for the bird, good for the earth, and good for the farmer. We are proud to pay Frank Reese a good, fair price for his turkeys. And, we are grateful to our customers who entrust us with connecting the land and the farmer to their Thanksgiving meal.
What size turkey do I need?
We have several turkey sizes available this year. We’ll do our very best to get you a turkey as close to your desired size as possible. Here is our recommendation guide to help you decide the best size bird to fit your holiday table:
- Extra Large Turkey (22 – 25.9 lbs) serve 16 to 22 people
- Large Turkey (18 – 21.9 lbs) serves 10 to 16 people
- Medium Turkey (14 – 17.9 lbs) serves 7 to 10 people
- Small Turkey (10 – 13.9 lbs) serves 5 to 7 people
- Extra Small Turkey (7 – 9.9 lbs) serves 3 to 6 people
- Turkey legs and/or breasts (cut to order) perfect for small gatherings
If you’re looking for an alternative to turkey, we’re offering holiday hams, pork roasts, guinea hen (it’s like a mini turkey for two!), quail, duck, rabbits, beef roasts, lamb legs and more—our skilled butchers can guide you toward the perfect option. In fact, our shop specializes in custom-cut butchery. Give us a call at 510-845-MEAT.
Our favorite Thanksgiving recipes & tips
- Brined & Glazed Turkey
- How to glaze & reheat a holiday ham
- How to prepare & cook a standing rib roast
- Heritage Turkey with Citrus & Herbs
- Bacon & Cider Braised Turkey
- Fennel Garlic Roast Pork
- How to Prepare and Cook Porchetta
- Roast Guinea Hen with Radicchio
- Guinea Hen with Bacon Cabbage & Apples
- The Rocchino’s favorite brisket
- Berkeleyside feature: Herb Roasted Turkey Breast & Pan Gravy